Categories » Management Minute

Next »
Posts
November 2018 Management Minute
“Winter Safety in the Workplace” By: Justin Waggoner, Ph.D., Beef Systems Specialist Winter will be upon us shortly and many agricultural workers work in the elements, which brings a new set of seasonal workplace hazards. Falls, slips and trips (More)
October 2018 Management Minute
“Preferred Employer” By: Justin Waggoner, Ph.D., Beef Systems Specialist If only 70% of our cows settle in a given breeding season, and we need to cull the other 30% for infertility, how much selection pressure can we implement based on other p (More)
September 2018 Management Minute
“Coaching in the Workplace” By: Justin Waggoner, Ph.D., Beef Systems Specialist Being a manager and managing people isn’t easy, especially when an employee or group of employees’ performance needs improvement. The goal of coaching is to improve (More)
August 2018 Management Minute
"Five generations in Today's Workplace" By Justin Waggoner, Ph.D., Beef Systems Specialist I recently learned that there are approximately five generations currently in the American workforce. I would add that since farmers and ranchers don’t o (More)
July 2018 Management Minute
"The New Hire" By Justin Waggoner, Ph.D., Beef Systems Specialist You have decided to bring a new person into your organization. How do you bring them on-board and get them up to speed with how your organization operates? Do you have a formal t (More)
June 2018 Management Minute
"Fatigue and Stress" By Justin Waggoner, Ph.D., Beef Systems Specialist Summer is here and along with it comes the long hours that coincide with planting, grain harvest, putting up hay, or shipping cattle. Long hours in the workplace often lead (More)
May 2018 Management Minute
"How Do You Evaluate New Technology?" By Justin Waggoner, Ph.D., Beef Systems Specialist Technology is everywhere, even in agriculture. I am continually surprised by the number of operations that don’t use established technologies with well-docu (More)
April 2018 Management Minute
"It's not Always About the Money" By Chris Reinhardt and Justin Waggoner, Ph.D., Beef Systems Specialist If you have an employee who seems to continually be bothering you about not being paid enough, there are usually two possibilities: 1) You’ (More)
March 2018 Management Minute
"Is Agriculture a High-Risk Occupation?" By Justin Waggoner, Ph.D., Beef Systems Specialist Most of you reading this are likely involved in agriculture in some capacity. Do you think of being a farmer or rancher as a high-risk occupation? Th (More)
February 2018 Management Minute
"Continuing Education" By Justin Waggoner, Ph.D., Beef Systems Specialist As a manager or small business owner, “what’s your policy on continuing education for your employees…do you have one?” If an employee comes to you and asks for time away (More)
Next »

Comments are closed.