Welcome back! The Spring semester is well underway, and the First Scholars are back and already working very hard. Last semester proved to be a successful one with graduation, scholarships, and various academic honors.
Ashley Coleman graduated in December, making him the first graduate of the K-State First Scholars program.
Katie Gehring, junior First Scholar, received the Goss Discovery Scholarship. She is currently spending the Spring Semester studying in Granada, Spain.
Congratulations are in order for the following First Scholars as they made the Honors List last semester: Ashley Coleman, Julie Demel, Gabby Doebele, Alicia Flack, Katie Gehring, Megan Haresnape, Ansley Herzog, Wes Jennings, Adam Koch, Rachel Meyers, Denise Reyes, Callie Reynolds, Jordan Roth, and Jasmin Williams.
January 27th the Junior and Senior First Scholars attended a retreat that featured various speakers and topics. The Seniors had a workshop on identifying and responding to micro-aggressions given by Richele Dadian, a psychology intern with Counseling Services. Dr. Dawne Martin, Assistant Dean for Diversity and member of the College of Business, spoke about how to prepare for the workplace. The Freshmen and Sophomore scholars joined the Juniors and Seniors to listen to the seniors present their Senior Legacy Projects. Junior scholars were spoken to by Ms. Liz Penton and Ms. Anastasia Delgado about how to avoid falling into binge drinking during their college years. Ms. Aliah Mestrovich-Seay spoke and provided an eye-opening activity over privilege and how privilege plays a role in everyone’s life. Finally, Mr. Trent McGee, K-State 360 Coordinator, spoke to the Juniors about the value of student engagement.
There are several important dates to keep in mind during this month of February. First being the Ice Skating Party for all cohorts on February 11th, 7:30- 9:00 pm. The First Scholars Talent Show will take place at Forum Hall on March 1st, 7:00-9:00 pm. If interested in participating, contact Rebeca via email: email@example.com. Other important dates such as Withdraw/Drop deadlines and Kat Chats are listed below.
- Monday, February 5th- Last day to drop a regular session course for 100% refund.
- Monday, February 12th- Last day to drop a regular session course for 50% refund.
- Tuesday, February 20th- Last day to drop a regular session course without a W being recorded.
- Monday, March 26th- Last day to drop a regular session course.
Kat Chat Dates
- Tuesday, February 6th- Connection the Dots: Recognizing Depression
- Tuesday, February 13th- The Language of Love
- Tuesday, February 20th- Don’t Stress! De-Stress!
- Tuesday, February 27th- Body Dissatisfaction and Eating Disorders: Not Just Female Problems
We would also like to wish a very happy birthday to the following First Scholars!
- Gabriella Doebele- January 1st
- Joshua Woods- January 11th
- Elisha Stone- January 12th
- Sequoyah Morabito- January 13th
- Karol Suarez- January 16th
- Jessie Carr- January 31st
- Juan de Santiago- January 31st
- Julie Demel- February 11th
- Ashley Weigel- January 21st
- Alicia Flach- February 22nd
- Trae Mosher-Cherry- February 28th