Division of Facilities News

Shining a Purple Spotlight: Who is this New Director?

By Kevin Shindlbeck, Director of Facilities Services

Kevin Schindlbeck
Kevin Schindlbeck

I have simple philosophies about leadership as well as expectations for myself. I quote Ken Blanchard in stating, “None of us is as smart as all of us.” I don’t and won’t have all the answers. With that, here comes my disclaimer:

Nobody is perfect. I won’t always get it right the first time; maybe not even the second or third time. The key is getting it right or making it right – always striving for that.

For me, leadership gives vision and direction. Leadership requires actions that may be unpopular in order to fulfill the vision. Leadership takes self-discipline and composure. Leadership takes time to develop relationships with those you work with. Leadership takes a balance between personal and professional life. Leadership takes acknowledging diversity and the differing skills that each individual brings to the team. Leadership trains, mentors, and coaches providing opportunity for employee success.

This philosophy can be summed up by applying legendary, basketball coach John Wooden’s approach to my life, “Discipline yourself and others won’t need to.”

On a final note for those who have an itch they need to scratch through linking who I am with where I’ve been in the world, I originate from the Great Lakes area of the country. In my adult life, in addition to the Great Lakes, I’ve lived in the South, the Southwest, the Northwest, the Rocky Mountains, the Great Plains, and the Appalachian Mountains of the United States. I have also lived in Central Europe as well as in East Asia. All these regions and countries have had some impact and influence on me, so don’t find it strange if by chance you might hear me say something that comes from one of these other locales.

I have returned to the Great Plains. Kansas is now my home. I am very enthused about being a member of the Division of Facilities and look forward to building positive relationships. I am proud to have been adopted into the K-State Family.