Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. The whole family should be encouraged to eat breakfast. Breakfast gives you energy, makes you feel better, keeps you from getting hungry later in the morning, and helps you achieve and maintain a healthy weight. Children who eat breakfast do better in school. Children may be able to get breakfast at school – check with the school food service to find out if it is available in your area.
Tips for a Quick Breakfast:
- No time? Make breakfast the night before. Have family members help you prepare breakfast. Choose low fat milk or cheese high-fiber cereal, fruit, boiled eggs, whole-grain bread or English muffin.
- Are you in a hurry? Take it to go. String cheese, low-fat yogurt, dry cereal in a bag or a banana will make a nutritious and delicious breakfast.
- Not hungry yet? Drink some skim milk. Have whole-wheat bread or crackers with low-fat cheese later in the morning.
Healthy Breakfast Ideas:
- Power Breakfast:Mix fresh, canned or dried fruit, low-fat yogurt and cereal.
- Breakfast Pizza:Top an English muffin or bagel with tomato sauce, low-fat mozzarella cheese and mushrooms (you can use any vegetable). Heat in a toaster or microwave.
- Shake It Up:Put a cup of ice, one cup of fresh fruit, ½ cup of orange juice, and ½ cup low-fat yogurt in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Egg White Omelet:Beat two egg whites, add to pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
*From Breakfast: A Good Start by eXtension.