Welcome to the first issue of “Growing Seasons”, an electronic newsletter that will be emailed periodically throughout the year. For those of you who are unfamiliar with The Gardens and our history, we’ve provided a brief background and introduction to our beautiful grounds and facilities.
Kansas State University, established in 1863, has a long history with gardening starting with its Arboretum in 1877. Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University donated over 100 species of exotic trees and shrubs.
The efforts continued with the erection of a Victorian conservatory in 1907 and establishment of a formal rose garden in 1927 by Professor Leon Reed Quinlan. At its peak, the Arboretum contained 4,000 specimens, representing 700 species of woody plants. In 1978, as the University continued to grow, the formal gardens were closed and in 1989 a new garden was started in its current location.
Today, The Gardens are classified as a horticultural display garden, free and open to the public, that serves as an invaluable educational resource and learning laboratory for students and visitors of all ages. While Providing Excellence in Garden Education is part of our mission, The Gardens are also a popular venue for special events and group tours. For more information about The Gardens at Kansas State University, please visit our website at www.ksre.ksu.edu/ksugardens.