January in the Midwest:
(from K-State Research and Extension, Kansas Healthy Yards – Communities)
- Peruse seed catalogs and prepare your seed order
- Start seeds throughout the winter, depending on growing requirements
- Water fall-planted perennials, trees and shrubs to prevent dry soil conditions
- Avoid walking on frozen lawns. It may injure the grass
- Scatter snow instead of piling it up on the lawn next to drives and walks
- Gently brush heavy snow from tree and shrub limbs to reduce damage
- Friends of The Gardens Bus Tour to Ward Meade Gardens, Topeka: April 12 (tentative)
- All-university Open House: April 16, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Garden Party: June 10, 6 – 9 p.m.
Visit The Gardens online at www.k-state.edu/gardens/.
The Gardens are open:
Dawn to midnight, Sunday through Saturday, March through November.
The Quinlan Visitor Center is open:
10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Admission and parking is free.