- Donate foods that would fill a healthy and safe plate for the consumer, based on MyPlate recommendations.
- Cash donations are useful as pantries can generally buy food in bulk for a lower price. Also, they can buy the items most needed by their clients.
- Do not donate repackaged, expired, or damaged food.
- Donate water packed, “Low-Sodium”, or “No Salt Added” vegetables and fruit packed in “100% juice”.
- Donate 100% whole grains. Whole-wheat pasta, barley, brown rice, and wild rice are complex carbohydrates which are more satiating and filling.
By: Ashley Svaty