Makes 9 servings
- 7 cups cored, sliced apples (about 2 lbs. or 5 large apples)
- ⅓ cup 100% apple juice
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 5 tablespoons soft tub margarine, cut into small pieces
- 3 Tablespoons slivered almonds
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Peel apples, slice, and toss in a mixing bowl with apple juice to coat.
3. Combine flour, both kinds of sugar, and oats in another mixing bowl. Cut in margarine using two knives until mixture is crumbly. Stir in almonds.
4. Spray a square 8-inch by 2-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Pour apples into baking dish and sprinkle with crumb mixture.
5. Bake 45 minutes or until topping turns golden brown.
Source: North Carolina Eat Smart, Move More. Nutrition per 1⁄9 of recipe: 200 calories, 8 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 60 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 22 g sugars, 2 g protein.
By: Ashley Svaty