When we clean our kitchen, we may think about the dishes, oven/stove top, floors, etc. but sometimes we forget about one of the most important appliances…. the refrigerator! Get a fresh start to the year by deep cleaning your refrigerator by following these steps:
- Remove the food and keep it in an ice chest or another refrigerator.
- Unplug the fridge. Clean underneath and behind the appliance to remove dust.
- Remove drawers and shelves. Let glass shelves adjust to room temperature so they don’t crack. Wash with hot, soapy water. Use a toothbrush to get into tight spaces.
- Wipe down the interior walls of the fridge and door shelves.
- Dry all surfaces with a clean towel or paper towels.
- Sanitize with a solution of 1 tablespoon liquid bleach in 1 gallon of water.
- Plug the fridge back in and put shelves and drawers in their spots.
- Restock the fridge and clean any containers and bottles. Toss anything past its prime and make a shopping list.
- Between cleanings, wipe up spills as they happen to keep the fridge as clean as possible.
By: Ashley Svaty