Whether you are making your own lunch for work or packing your child’s school lunch, keep these tips in mind for a safe and nutritious to-go meal!
- Keep it cold and safe. Choose an insulated lunchbox, or always pack an ice pack if the contents contain an item that needs to stay cold.
- Focus on colorful vegetables. Pack more dark green, red, and orange vegetables. Pack a healthy dip such as hummus to add more flavor and fun.
- Fuel up with fruits. Choose whole fruits or fruit packed in 100% juice. Oranges, pears, peaches, berries, and unsweetened applesauce are a few great choices that will easily fit into a lunch box.
- Shoot for whole grains. Choose whole grain foods, such as whole-wheat bread and whole wheat tortillas or crackers.
- Pack Calcium-rich foods. Choose low-fat milk, yogurt and cheese for your child. Remember to keep these foods cold.
- Vary the protein and healthy fats. Peanut butter, tuna, or a lean turkey sandwich are great to pack for lunch. Nuts or a hard-boiled egg are also great.
By: Ashley Svaty