Food Science Institute

Meet Your Student to Student Recruiter: Halle Sparks

By Maggie Stanton

The Food Science Institute has recently selected four undergraduate students as student to student recruiters. We’re so excited to welcome them to the team, and introduce them to everyone!

Halle Sparks was immediately drawn to K-State during her first visit. “It totally defied my expectations,” said Sparks. “I didn’t expect to fall in love with the school so quickly and feel a warm attachment to this place I now could call ‘home.’”

Although Sparks originally began her college career as a biology major, she quickly realized it wasn’t for her. A mentor advised her to explore food science as a possibility, and soon, Sparks knew she had found the right place. “I was welcomed into the major with open arms by my advisor and professors and immediately, I was hooked,” said Sparks. “I appreciate the versatility of the program and as I have progressed throughout my classes, I realize that food science is the perfect combination of art, creativity and science that I had been looking for, for so long.”

Now a senior, Sparks wouldn’t change a thing. “My professors and peers are incredibly friendly and are always willing to support me,” said Sparks. “I feel like I am getting a great education and am applying what I learn in class to everyday life.”

Sparks hopes to use her new position as a student to student recruiter to advocate for people and point them to the program. “I wish I had someone talk to me about food science before I came to K-State, or at least at the beginning of my college career,” said Sparks. “Diversity is very important to me, and being a recruiting leader would also give me the chance to get more minority groups involved in the STEM and agricultural fields.”

In addition to spending the summer training in the recruiting program, Sparks is also taking courses and working. She loves being a part of the Food Science Institute, and added “Call Hall Ice Cream is pretty great as well!”

One thought on “Meet Your Student to Student Recruiter: Halle Sparks
  1. So glad to have you on-board as one of our recruiters! Your smile, passion and personality will make your a great advocate for food science.