Food Science Institute

Meet Your Student to Student Recruiter: Erika Kringen

We’re continuing our profiles on student to student recruiters, and this week we’ll learn a little more about sophomore in food science Erika Kringen!

“As long as I can remember, I have always read through the nutrition label of any food product before eating it or using it to cook,” said Kringen. “I did this and continue to do this because I’m genuinely interested in what makes up the food we eat.”

That interest led her to K-State, where Kringen said she found the perfect environment for her undergrad education. “I like K-State because of the endless opportunities it has brought me, not just through my education but outside activities like clubs and my sorority,” said Kringen. “By having these opportunities I have met some of my best friends and have learned so much through my education that will help me in my future career.”

Her decision to major in food science was the result of a lifelong curiosity. “I was drawn to food science because I was always interested in the components that make up food,” said Kringen. “I wanted to better understand how food made is from farms or productions facilities to the consumer.”

Her major has allowed her to focus on the details of food, as well as the production aspects. “By receiving an education in food science, I’m learning how the amount of certain ingredients, like sugar, affect the way food tastes, looks and feels,” said Kringen. “Also, since beginning my studies, I’m starting to understand the chemical aspects of food. I’m learning how we can produce food in ways that keep it safe for people to consume, as well as producing new food products all together.”

Becoming a student to recruiter allows Kringen to show potential students the opportunities a degree in food science can afford them. According to Kringen, there are some difficult decisions that come with choosing a degree path. Kringen hopes to make these tough decisions easier on the potential students.

This summer, Kringen will be a Student Research Assistant in a Post-Harvest Physiology lab at the K-State Olathe campus. “I’m excited to learn and understand what goes into research,” said Kringen. “As well as apply what I have learned through my food science education this summer.”