LINK magazine

For Alma Mater Fight – Supporting student scholarships at the place we love full well

By Ashley Nietfeld

Innovation and Inspiration3For many students, the decision to go back to school is a difficult one. Many factors come into play, including time spent away from family, the potential for work conflicts and, perhaps most of all, finances.

Although the majority of students who choose to earn a degree online are older and many earn a steady income, their financial responsibilities are also greater. They may have a mortgage, child care payments or previous student loans. Some students even feel guilty for going back to school, worried about the impact the cost may have on their families.

“Every time I thought about pursuing my degree, I was overcome with guilt for taking financial support away from the children’s educational fund,” said Stephanie Plaschka, a mother to five children who will graduate in spring 2016 with a bachelor’s degree in family studies and human services. “Being awarded the Global Campus Scholarship for Distance Education Students allows me to focus on learning every piece of information I can absorb, without those guilt feelings intruding.”

Students who enroll part time are not eligible for many of the scholarships available to full-time students. While K-State Global Campus has been working to increase the number and amount of available scholarships, the need is still there.

Daniel Allred, a father of three, had to take breaks from his studies as he pursued his master’s degree in academic advising. “I started this journey five years ago in order to better my employment situation and enable me to better provide for my family,” he said. “Due to limitations of funds, I was unable to attend classes on a regular basis.”

Innovation and Inspiration1With support from the Maurine Allison O’Bannon Memorial Scholarship, Allred graduated in summer 2015.

As we look ahead to the next 50 years of distance education at K-State, one of our driving goals continues to be providing a quality education to those who desire it. For every Plaschka and Allred, there are many more students whose stories we never hear who have chosen to stop attending because of financial strain or who may never have even applied.

Please join us in our fight to increase scholarship funding for students with financial fears. In honor of our 50th anniversary, you can make a difference for current and future distance students by including a donation in the attached envelope. Options for giving include:

$50 for 50 Years: Make a one-time donation or a monthly commitment of $50 as a symbol of the 50th milestone year.

$50 + $50: Double your contribution to $100, representing $50 for the past and $50 for the future.

Customized Gift: Contribute any amount to K-State Global Campus scholarship funds.

Create a Scholarship: Develop a new scholarship for K-State distance students in your name or in honor of someone you love with the help of our director of development, Nicole Askew.

MAKE AN IMPACT
To make a donation or learn more about scholarships for distance students, visit global.k-state.edu/50/future/give.