Department of Hospitality Management

Student Spotlight: Mary Ernst

My name is Mary Ernst and I am a senior in Hospitality Management with an emphasis in the Meeting and Event Management track. I come from a military family, but have been happy to call Manhattan home for the last 15 years. Event planning has always been a passion of mine, and I couldn’t imagine doing anything else in life. This semester I had the opportunity to help with two events for the College of Health and Human Sciences.

I had the opportunity to work with Dr. Ottenbacher on the Second Annual World of Wines Series, which took place at the end of September. This event hosted two workshops; a wine and cheese pairing as well as small bites paired with cava, a type of sparkling wine produced in Spain. I had a large role throughout the event, from the brainstorming of workshops to setting tables and buffing wine glasses. Overall this event raised approximately $2,000 that will go into scholarships and study abroad opportunities for current and future Hospitality Management students.

The second event that I was a part of was the Celebration of Excellence. This year was unique, as we got to celebrate the college name changing to the College of Health and Human Sciences. We welcomed back eleven alumni and friends to the K-State campus as part of the annual Celebration of Excellence to recognize them for the extraordinary things they have accomplished in their careers. The Celebration of Excellence is a dinner served by students within the College of Health and Human Sciences. This event gave me an opportunity to bring to life everything I have learned throughout college, and it was exciting to be a part of it.

The opportunities offered to me this semester are one of the reasons that I love K-State and Hospitality Management. Getting a chance to actually see an event unfold, from inception to completion. I have been taught so much during my time here that I know will boost my career, and I am eternally grateful for that.