Completing the Spring 2020 semester online is not quite what everyone was expecting. This time can feel stressful and challenging; however, K-State is working hard to ensure students have academic resources available to finish the semester strong.
If your student is needing academic support to navigate online classes, there are several resources to get connected:
- The Keep Learning website is home to tips and resources for online learning. You can find ideas on how to stay organized, make the most of online learning, or how to access technology support.
- At the Academic Achievement Center we are focused on equipping students with tools and support necessary for their success. We offer connections to the Office of First-Generation Students, Scholar Services, Tutoring, and Academic Coaching.
- Academic Coaches are available via our virtual Learning Lab to meet one on one and discuss plans to finish the semester #K-StateStrong. No appointments are necessary for virtual coaching. Students can stop by anytime Monday through Friday 9am-5pm by clicking the “Connect to Academic Coaching” button.
- The Academic Success Tool Library is filled with tools that provide guidance on how to improve specific academic skills. This includes time management, test-taking, reading, and motivational tools.
- We are also hard at work to create videos that support your student’s academic success. Check out our YouTube channel to get step-by-step information about how to implement academic success strategies.
- In response to the impacts of COVID-19, K-State has made changes to the A/Pass/Fail policy for Spring 2020. Opting into this policy can have a positive impact on GPA and lower your students stress level due to distance learning. “Under this option, students earning a grade of A in a course will have an A recorded on the transcript for that course; a grade of B, C, or D will be recorded as Pass; a Grade of F will be recorded as F.” If your student is considering opting in to this policy, encourage them to speak with their Academic Advisor before making a final decision. Students have until May 8, 2020 to submit the form.
We know the end of the semester is right around the corner — and with it comes final exams. Final exams, like almost everything else in our lives, may look a lot different, but some things will still hold true. Like other semesters, these courses are stepping stones to your end goal–graduation! We encourage parents to remind their students to plan ahead, take breaks, and be patient with themselves.
K-State has been working diligently to offer support in many ways, but these resources are just a starting point. We are here to back you up when things get tricky. You and your student have got this! Let us know how we can support you.
Guest Submission from Allison DuLac and Kaylie Towles