Schools have been very busy welcoming kids back in to the classroom! If you are packing a lunch keep these tips in mind:
- Introduce children to a variety of wholegrain breads and rolls. Try an unassembled one they can eat in stages.
- Veggies and dip are always a hit. Cut up carrots, cucumbers, broccoli or cauliflower and pack with a small container of your child’s favorite low-fat dressing.
- Include a favorite item along with new foods. This way if the child doesn’t care for the new item, he or she will still have the old favorite.
- Keep foods safe. Use insulated bags with reusable ice packs to keep foods cool. Use a lunch box with rigid sides to keep foods from getting crushed.
- Try to eat foods that are in season, like peaches!
- Let the child help pack the lunch to get them involved in helping make healthy choices.