The K-State Dairy Barn and Milk House (caretaker’s cottage) were built in 1933 in the exact location where they are today. Due to inadequate facilities, the actual dairy production was moved to a new site north of campus in fall 1976. The cottage, which today is the Gardens Visitor Center, once housed student workers who lived upstairs and milked the cows for their rent. The first floor contained a weighing room, milk room, refrigerator, washroom and the herdsman’s office. Today the barn serves as a wonderful educational tool for the university. Used as a head house for the greenhouse operations, it includes research chambers, Insect Zoo and the Gardens Visitor Center.