Accounting

Spring 2023 Update

EXPLORE: An Accounting Experience

On March 3rd, 50 high school students and educators visited the College of Business for the accounting experience event, EXPLORE. Students and educators had the chance to learn more about accounting and network with employers in the field as well as K-State Accounting faculty, students, and other K-State representatives.
Explore students group photo

EXPLORE event activities
Students enjoyed lunch provided by Chick-fil-A. Afterwards, Senior Instructor Rodney Vogt presented “Technology Tools for Success.”
EXPLORE students on a scavenger hunt
High school students participating in a scavenger hunt throughout the College of Business.
CAT Community Scholars
Herbel Accounting CAT Community Scholars share their experiences with future accounting students.

K-State Team Named Finalists of Deloitte’s Innovation Challenge

Kansas State University’s student team was named one of the finalists of Deloitte’s Audit Innovation Campus Challenge (AICC) and will advance to the National Competition in April 2023. Teams representing 55 colleges and universities across the country participated in the virtual competition.

In order from left to right: Riley Jacobson, Michelle Olberding, Brent Thein, Ashley Hammes, Blake Steele. Not Pictured: Julianna Poe.

The AICC is a nationwide program which accelerates innovation in education by helping institutions of higher learning keep pace with the rapidly changing marketplace and evolving technologies impacting the audit profession.

Beta Alpha Psi: Beta Bears

Beta Alpha Psi is an international honors organization for accounting, finance, and management information systems students and professionals. On March 6th, members participated in the organization’s annual community service event- Beta Bears, sponsored by CBIZ.

BAP group photo

Beta Bears service event
30+ Bears were donated to Ascension Via Christi Hospital

.

“Our Chapter has been working on this community service event since 2014. With the support of our partners, we purchase and stuff bears. These stuffed animals are then donated to a variety of organizations. This year the donation will be given to Ascension Via Christi Hospital in Manhattan.”

~ Jane Bloodgood, Beta Alpha Psi Advisor

Graduate Student Internship Spotlight

Blake Steele

“My name is Blake Steele and I am currently interning out of Kansas City for Deloitte in their Audit & Assurance practice. Over my eight weeks I’ve had the chance to work on clients in all different industries, helping me to gain perspective on the audit profession. The Deloitte staff has made me feel welcome and has given me meaningful work toward helping clients file their audits this winter. I’ve met so many amazing people this winter and I am grateful for the experience that Deloitte has given me!”

Sydney Stuke

“My name is Sydney Stuke and I am currently an intern for KPMG in the Kansas City office as a Business Tax Services (BTS) intern. I have been able to work on several types of entities such as S Corps, C Corps, and partnerships. Also working on a variety of teams ranging from a 4-person team to a 10-person team. I have really enjoyed my internship with KPMG and getting a glimpse into my future career.”

Faculty Spotlight: Monica Woods

Monica Woods
Monica Woods

“I transferred to K-State as an undergraduate student. I completed my accounting degree and stayed to complete the Masters of Accountancy program. During my time in Graduate School, I had the opportunity to serve as a Graduate Teaching Assistant.I joined the faculty in late 2005, as an adjunct instructor. I’ve never left!

I love teaching accounting because of the students – I love learning about how they learn and seeing that “lightbulb” moment when the topic clicks. Working with young people every day gives me a sense of wonder and hope for what the “next big thing” will be in the business environment.

The Department of Accounting is continuously looking for opportunities to provide students with the coursework, methodology, and support that students need to be cutting edge professionals. Our transition into the new College of Business Building, the evolution of our curriculum, and the interest our students have in the profession are all very exciting to me.”

Accounting Internship Expo

Accounting Internship Expo

At this year’s Accounting Internship Expo, 21 Public Accounting and Industry Employers came to the K-State campus to network with Accounting Students. The event took place on February 13th and allowed students to network with employers and learn more about internship opportunities!

Upcoming Events

Australia International Experience

Sydney Opera House, AustraliaOn May 16th, 33 people, including MAcc students, faculty, alumni, and guests will be leaving for Australia. Over the course of two weeks, they will visit Sydney and Cairns. The trip involves meeting with international businesses, a tour of the Sydney Opera House, a day at the Great Barrier Reef, and many other exciting opportunities. This program is led by Brett Wilkinson and Ashley West.

Scholarship Gala

On May 2nd, the Scholarship Gala will take place. Last year, over $400k was given in student scholarships that benefited both new and continuing Accounting students. In addition to scholarships, this year our new inductee into the Accounting Hall of Fame will be announced!

Thank you for your support!

We ask that you continue supporting K-State Accounting by giving via the following link.

SUPPORT K-STATE ACCOUNTING

We greatly appreciate the difference you are making in the lives of our Accounting students. Thank you for supporting our program!

Many thanks to Alexa Palmer, Student Accounting Assistant, for putting together this semester’s newsletter. Alexa is a freshman from Overland Park who is majoring in Accounting and minoring in Spanish.