Butler County 4-H News

My Campference Experience

When I first received the invitation to go to Campference I was not sure if I wanted to go. I was nervous because I would have to really step out of my comfort zone to go without knowing anyone.  But, I was pretty sure I would have a good time. When I finally decided to go, all the spots were full so I was put on the waiting list. Then I was disappointed that I wasn’t going to get to go.  A couple weeks later I got a call and was told that there was an empty spot and that if I wanted it I could have it, I took it knowing that it would be the best decision for me.  I am so glad that I did because Campference was such an awesome experience! Even though I did not know anyone at this camp all of the people and counselors were really fun, nice, and friendly. I learned about all of the great opportunities that are in my future with 4-H.  An example is Discovery Days, where you go and stay in the K-state dorms and take fun classes to learn about various things, which I am excited to attend next summer. Another opportunity in my future is Kansas Leadership Conference that I might get to do when I get older. Also, I learned from a guest speaker, how to get along with people that have different personalities than me. But Campference wasn’t all about learning, it was also like a fun camp experience and I got to do many of the camp activities I am used to.  Some of those are canoeing, mountain biking, archery, swimming, and many more plus making new friends. Over all I am so lucky that I got to go–especially because I didn’t get to go to regular 4-H camp this year. I would definitely recommend Campference to anyone who gets the chance to go.

Lillie Haller