The Tilford Multi-Cultural Competencies define Knowledge Learning as Awareness and understanding needed to live and work in a diverse world. Knowledge of:
- Cultural Self — The ability to understand one’s ethnic identity and how it influences identity development.
- Diverse Ethnic Groups — Knowledge of diverse ethnic groups and their cultures.
- Social/Political/Economic/Historical Frameworks — Awareness of how social, political, economic and historical issues impact race and ethnic relations in the world.
- Changing Demographics — Understanding population dynamics related to ethnic minority and majority citizens.
- Diversity Implications for Career — Understanding how diversity impacts the academic discipline, career and professional development.