Summer is a great time to enjoy outdoor meals with family and friends. Bacteria also loves warmer temperatures so be sure to follow these food safety guidelines when eating outdoors during barbeques and picnics.
- Cold food should not be left out of the cooler for more than 2 hours.
- Cook meat and poultry thoroughly to their safe minimum internal temperature.
- Serve small portions and keep the rest in the cooler.
- Pack only what you plan to use during your meal.
- Use separate coolers for drinks so your food cooler is kept closed.
For more tips on how to keep your summer picnics and barbeques safe from foodborne illness, view our Building Strong Families insert here.
By: Ashley Svaty