There are many ways to keep your child happy this Halloween without allowing them to eat loads of candy. Use this time to talk with your child about making nutritional decisions. Establishing how many treats your child is able to eat and sticking with it will pay off. After trick or treating put the candy out of sight or get rid of it to reduce temptation.
Other tips include:
- Be a role model by eating candy in moderation
- Offer non-candy alternatives like whistles, jump ropes, stickers, crayons, pocket sized games, spider rings, or bubbles
- Buy trick or treating goodies at the last minute to resist temptation
- Feed your child before going out, they will be less likely to snack on candy on a full stomach
- Check your child’s bag of goodies to make sure all food items are in original packaging.
By: Ashley Svaty